Monday, December 20, 2021

asemic, ongoing (or the pagan gods) -- jim leftwich, excerpts from some emails

​asemic, ongoing
Jim Leftwich
Nov 10, 2021, 2:4​​6 PM
to Bill

I was recently interviewed by Burak Ş. Çelik about asemic writing.
The interview is published in the 8th Issue of Buzdokuz Poetry Theory Criticism Magazine, which is out now.
buzdokuz.com



Jim Leftwich
Nov 12, 2021, 7:13 PM
to billy

I am very happy with it. Burak asked good questions. I was able to cover a lot of ground in my answers.



Jim Leftwich
Nov 12, 2021, 8:14 PM
to billy
If I don't do it, no one will. No one ever will. That's why I treat it the way I do.



Jim Leftwich
Nov 12, 2021, 8:28 PM
to billy

Lots of folks don't agree with me. They think I'm either mistaken, or delusional, or ignorant, or blinded by ego, or simply wrong, or some mixture of the above.
Most of the time, when folks say they disagree with me, I honestly don't know what they mean.
If I said: I was in Fincastle last Tuesday. It was raining.
And someone who wasn't there replied: I disagree.
The only reasonable response for me would be to repeat myself



Jim Leftwich
Nov 12, 2021, 9:48 PM
to billy

Some people don't want asemic writing to have come from poetry. They don't believe me when I say that's where it came from. They think I'm lying about it, for some reason. Maybe because I'm not a trained visual artist. Anyway, like I said. I'll just keep repeating myself whenever I get the chance. Some folks will figure it out.



Jim Leftwich
Nov 12, 2021, 11:00 PM
to billy

We went for a couple of little walks today. No vehicle for the past 2 and a half months, so we missed the fall colors in the mountains. Sue is cat-sitting for a friend, and has her car for a few days.
https://leftwichvanlines.blogspot.com/



Jim Leftwich
Nov 13, 2021, 2:59 PM
to billy

Sue doesn't like Lakewood Park very much. She says my photographs make it look much nicer than it really is.
I say: Good nature photography is a collaboration between the pagan gods and the photographer. Not just any God, or gods. And not any kind of institutional religion. The pagan gods, who inhabit the nature being photographed. And: if they don't know you, they won't help you.